The 2019 FPC Institute is right around the corner! If you are attending, here is what you can expect during this interactive four-day institute.
Create a Coherent Vision for Literacy Learning: An Introduction to Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ PreK-6
May 6-9, 2019 – Atlanta, GA*
Irene C. Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell will present their vision to lift students' literacy learning through authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, and writing using Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™, a first-of-its-kind, cohesive system for high-quality classroom-based literacy instruction.
Throughout this intensive institute, Fountas and Pinnell will show how each whole-group, small-group, and individual instructional context within Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ work together to develop coherence in the literacy learning of every student across the grades.
- Whole-class instruction will be presented through the instructional contexts of Interactive Read-Aloud, Reading Minilessons, Shared Reading, and Phonics/Spelling/Word Study lessons.
- Small-group instruction will be presented through the contexts of Guided Reading and Book Clubs.
- Individual instruction will be presented through the context of Independent Reading and Conferring, and Writing About Reading.
Note to Administrators: During the institute, administrators will have the opportunity to meet with Irene and Gay Su during a special two-hour session, and will be invited to sign up for this session with the authors in advance.
- develop an understanding of the values and vision that underpin Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™
- develop an understanding of what reading proficiency looks like
- explore how readers integrate systems of strategic actions as they process text and think within, beyond, and about texts
- explore how to observe students and identify teaching goals through the use of The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum
- develop an understanding of the need for and strength of whole-class, small-group, and individualized instruction
- explore the various texts that comprise Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™
- explore the instructional components that comprise Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™: Interactive Read-Aloud, Guided Reading, Shared Reading, Independent Reading, Book Clubs, Reading Minilessons, and Phonics/Spelling/Word Study
- begin to develop a plan for the school/district to implement Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™, and identify priority classroom goals for the start of the new school year.
As a fun addition to this year's institute, participates will have the chance to share their teaching experiences on camera at the end of each day!
Professional learning makes the work come alive! Lift your teaching and leave with new energy and understanding that will inform your instruction all year.
~The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™ Team
*Registration for this event is now full.
Join the fastest growing community in the field of literacy education. Get your free membership and stay up to date on the latest news and resources from Fountas and Pinnell at www.fountasandpinnell.com
For a well-organized, searchable archive of FAQs and discussions that are monitored by Fountas and Pinnell-trained consultants, go to our Discussion Board at www.fountasandpinnell.com/forum
For more collaborative conversation, join the Fountas & Pinnell Literacy™ Facebook Learning Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/FountasPinnell/